Author Stacey Rourke

Thursday, April 22, 2010

TAKE REJECTIONS WITH A SMILE AND THEN SCREAM INTO A PILLOW

If you want to succeed in anything in life you have to risk rejection. Going for a job interview, asking out a hottie, trying to get a loan, in my case trying to get a book published; all are examples of situations that can lead to a big, fat NO!! It is the promise of wonderful things to come from that one magical yes that keeps us pushing ahead. The trick is to try and learn something from the rejections too.

Do I consider myself a master of handling rejection? Heavens no! As a matter of fact I didn't post a blog yesterday because I got a rejection that stung in a major way and I spent most of the day in the fetal position blubbering loud enough that the neighbors complained. I can say though that I have learned to handle it better. Proof of that is that my recovery time from these rejections has greatly decreased. Now I can rebound in the course of a day instead of mopping around for a week in my bathrobe. Thanks in large part for my improvement is owed to my family and friends. Upon receiving my millionth rejection yesterday I fought the urge to insult the guy's momma and instead sought solace with my friends.
"What did he say?" They asked.
"That he's a big, stupid dookie head." Was my mature answer.
Funny that even through texting you can sense when your friends are rolling their eyes at you. "No. What were his EXACT words?"
"That my book was very, very good but he doesn't work with that genre."
"Wouldn't that be considered a compliment?" I hate it when they use logic. It adds a rational element that hinders pouting. "Did he say anything else?"
"That I should contact publishers that represent young adult novels specifically."

The lesson here is to bite back any insults that pop into mind when you are getting rejected, have your pity party and see what you could learn from it and apply to your next attempt. A good lesson I think. Now if you would all please remind me of this when the next door slams shut by pointing to the window that is still open I would greatly appreciate it.

3 comments:

  1. Immediatly after writing this I got yet another painful rejection. How's that for irony? Now if you will excuse me I'm going to go scream into a pillow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really think you are on the right track!

    Plus...it's okay to think they are "big, stupid dookie heads"...sometimes they are!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Big stupid dookie headed agents who really liked your book but don't publish that genre? That's the worst kind. ;) Keep on keeping on, Stace!

    ReplyDelete